Hibernation

Saturday, November 10, 2012


I've gotta say, spending so much time in my apartment the past two weeks because of Sandy and the nor'easter have morphed me into the ultimate hermit. I hate the cold, so going out in the winter is hard enough as it is....but all of this mandatory indoor time has given me a major appreciation for our little apartment!  While I would like to believe that I am always grateful for what I have, I am especially thankful this month for the "little things" - for electricity, having hot water again and being able to sleep in my own bed at night. It's so saddening to know that not far from my little nook, so many people were not as fortunate. 

Luckily, there's still stuff we can all do in & out of NYC to start the healing process, even if we're not able to get our hands dirty in person. Here are a few ideas in case you want to help!

Occupy Sandy has created a registry where you can purchase items that are needed for victims on Amazon - brilliant.  

Eat down, Tip Up  is an effort to help mobilize local businesses that were affected by Sandy after having to close for over a week in lower Manhattan. It's simple! You eat downtown, tip generously and spread the word. Here's a list of participating restaurants in case you're a local. 

New York Cares is organizing various relief projects to assist all over the city.

& of course, you can donate money to the Brooklyn Recovery Fund, who are donating 100% of all proceeds to Sandy recovery.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

a heart string All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger